Tuesday 5 March 2013

Wolfgang Weingart



Weingart's work has a degree of complexity bringing together the work with the use of typography, pictures and CAD designs. His work has a very dominant color in grey. The typography is bold yet simple and easy to read. His work has a newspaper/Magazine type them behind it. Weingart is regarded as the father of 'New Wave/Swiss Punk Typography'. Weingart has said that he did not intend to make a style, it was something that just happened. The style is definitely  one that I cannot pin point. I really like the way in which he puts together his work with such a simplistic view on things that has a device complexity. The work has hints of colour in the majority black and white image. I really like this aspect a lot as it makes the image so much more powerful and easier to read; as my theme revolves around typography I believe that this will help with the appreciation of the design and the outcome. The artist's use of collage reminds me of that of Kurt Schwitters through the use of random items put together to create an image, the contrast arrives through the the method in which they are used as Schwitters uses tangible resources to create his outcomes where as Weingart uses more CAD methods. The typography in these pieces are alot easier to read to that of Schwitters also they are clear, Bold and in the foreground, with this and and grey colours it reminds you of  newspapers. Weingart also has more difficult pieces of work where he has abstracted the typography these designs were impossible to create, there ideas defy the ideas of the Swiss Typography Tradition this was seen as the only way to break the rules as they were known to him and also breath new life into his work. I really liked this artist's work it really does appear to break from the norm that other artist have been in this is something that I hope to keep in my work going forward with thoughts of the exam. I saw the design idea with an open mind and really took to the idea. I will now try to develop my ideas applying these principles.


No comments:

Post a Comment